21 days, 21 recipes…
For ages, Rasam has been the perfect cure to cold-weather ailments. And in times like these, there’s nothing better than having this heart-warming soup-of-sorts to keep your immune system healthy. So, here’s Chef Ganapati of SaffronStays Kurinji Estate, Kodaikanal sharing his recipe.
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp pepper
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1½ l water
- Tamarind water (as per preference)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Grind garlic, curry leaves, green chillies, cumin seeds and pepper to form a coarse mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, chopped tomatoes and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add freshly grounded mixture to the pan and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, water and let it simmer.
- Add tamarind water, chopped coriander and salt to taste.
- The key to making a perfect Rasam is to let it simmer until you see white froth. Never boil the Rasam.
- To enhance the flavour add boiled dal water instead of regular water.
Read more: If you’ve missed Mangalorean Fish Curry recipe.