21 days, 21 Home Chefs share their secret recipes…
Ilish Bhapa or Steamed Hilsa Fish is a delightful Bengali dish which looks extremely elegant and honestly is super easy to make. Here’s our in-house chef Sukhchandji of SaffronStays Xanadu, Alibaug sharing his go-to recipe with us from his treasured diary.
- 500 gm ilish fish or (mackerel/ pomfret)
- 50 gm yellow mustard seeds
- 5-6 green chillies (as per preference)
- 6 tsp mustard oil
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp mustard oil
- ½ tsp black fennel seed (kalonji)
- ½ cup water
- In a blender, grind yellow mustard seeds, green chillies, and a small piece of ginger to form a fine paste.
- Marinate the cleaned fish with freshly grounded mustard paste, mustard oil, turmeric powder, salt and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan, add black fennel seeds (kalonji) and let them pop for few seconds.
- Add the marinated fish and water. Allow the gravy to boil for a minute.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the gravy simmer on a slow flame for 10-12 minutes.
- Garnish the gravy with slit chillies and coriander. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Read more: If you’ve missed our Chicken Popti.