21 days, 21 home-chefs share their secrets…
Lakhi of SaffronStays Little Paradise is a veteran cook. She whips up the most delectable preparations with Bengali and Konkani touches. She shares the recipe of Masala Baingan, a dish that will have you, like our guests, licking your plate.
- ½ kg brinjals
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1.5 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 2-3 chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 fried onions/ birista
- 2 tbsp curd
- Boil the poppy seeds and sesame seeds in water for 2-3 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Grind the ginger, garlic, green chillies and half the cumin seeds into a fine powder masala.
- Heat oil in a pan on a slow flame. Add salt, and fry the brinjal till soft. Keep aside.
- Temper mustard seeds, remaining cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Add soaked poppy seeds sesame seeds, powder masala and tomatoes. Stir well.
- After 2 minutes add fried onions/ birista, curd and brinjal.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and serve hot with chapati.