21 days, 21 recipes…
Our in-house cook Kunda, of SaffronStays Parsi Manor, Matheran, learnt Parsi cuisine back when she was a child and her parents worked in a Parsi household. While she enjoys cooking various dishes, there’s one particular dish which has earned a permanent spot in her heart, and that’s Dhansak. Here’s Kunda sharing her Chicken Dhansak recipe.
- 1 cup split pigeon peas (toor dal)
- ½ cup red lentils (masoor dal)
- ¼ cup yellow split lentils (moong dal)
- ¼ cup spilt gram lentils (channa dal)
- ¼ cup black gram lentils (urad dal)
- 100 gms red pumpkin (chopped)
- 100 gms brinjal (chopped)
- 10-12 fresh fenugreek leaves
- 10-12 mint leaves
- 1 green chilli
- ½ kg chicken
- Small piece of ginger
- 100 gm oil
- 2 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cumin powder
- ½ tsp sambar powder
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tsp dhansak powder
- Soak all the lentils together and set aside for 15 mins.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, soaked lentils, pumpkin, brinjal, fenugreek leaves, mint leaves, chicken, green chilli, ginger and sufficient water.
- Cook until the lentils and chicken are cooked well.
- In a pan, add oil and chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, dhansak powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, sambar powder, ginger-garlic paste, dhansak powder, red chilli powder, salt and mix well.
- Add tempered mix to the dal and chicken and mix well.
- Serve hot with brown rice.
Read more: If you’ve missed our Appam and Vegetable Stew.