21 days, 21 home chefs reveal their secret recipes.
Mild, soft and flavoursome – this combo of Appam and Vegetable Stew tells us that when all’s not right, we will still have them. Allwin, our cook from SaffronStays Milton Abbott Estate, Ooty shares his recipe for Appam and Vegetable Stew.
- 500 gms rice (soaked overnight)
- 20 gms urad dal (soaked overnight)
- ½ coconut
- Vegetable oil
- 1½ tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 2-4 cloves (optional)
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 chopped green chillies
- 100 gms tomato
- 100 gms carrot (cubed)
- 100 gms beans (cubed)
- 100 gms potato (cubed)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- Grind rice, urad dal and coconut into a fine paste.
- Add salt to this mix and let it ferment for 6-8 hours.
- Grease tawa with some oil until it’s hot. Get a ladle full of batter and spread it in a circle, just like a dosa. Flip it on the other side when you see this one’s cooked just alright. Your fluffy appams are ready!
- In a pan, add oil. When hot, add cumin seeds, white pepper powder, cloves, onion and green chillies.
- Mix tomatoes and sauté them until they turn brown.
- Add the veggies to this mix, and let it cook for 10-15 mins.
- Finally, add coconut milk and salt and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.